Monday, May 5, 2014

From Depression to Determination

I got on the scale this morning and was elated to have finally reached my first goal weight. I think that this is too good to be true, so I weigh myself again. Down another 2 lbs. in 30 seconds. Immediately, I realize that I have been deceived. For the last couple weeks, I have been weighing myself on a rug, because it’s too cold for me on the bare floor.  This morning I found out that it was a mistake. I completely forgot the most important step on weighing yourself properly; which is to do so on a hard flat surface.  I felt so betrayed and discouraged. I wanted to scream or cry. I came to work feeling like a failure, and tired from an unrelated disruptive sleep.

Two cups of coffee, and a tasteless (due to depression, I’m sure) part of brownie later, I get kicked of my funk. From somewhere, determination springs, and not only will I get back up and start anew, but I will try harder. I enter a #dietbet, sign up for a local 5K, and I purchase my first #fluertyband for the run. That gives me about six and a half months to get in shape enough to run the entire 5K. This is of course after I complete my 4 week diet bet.

As soon as the empowerment came, it ended. I suddenly remember that I can’t even run to my car without having to catch my breath. Walking fast, also makes me breathe hard. The most cardio I can do is 30 minutes steady up and down 3.0-5.0 speed on the elliptical trainer. Looks like I got myself in a pickle. Nevertheless, I will put my big girl panties on (and I do mean BIG girl panties lol) and Git-R-Done! Back to feeling determined :)



On another completely different topic, I went bowling for the first time in over a year.  Two days later, and I am so sore. How out of shape do you have to be, to get sore from bowling? I’ve never heard of it, and I assume that I am one of the lucky few. I cannot regret going bowling, because even though I got sleepy 45 min into bowling, I had a great night with my family. 
-Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment