Thursday, July 3, 2014

Tenth Time’s a Charm – Tales of an Aspiring Vegetarian


When I was around nine or ten years old, I went to Guadalajara, Mexico with my Grandmother and cousins.  At some point in time we went to visit my Aunt’s Farm.  I have always been clumsy and I also do not think I had eye glasses yet, but while walking around the farm, I accidently stepped on a chick. My aunt had to put it down because I hurt it pretty bad, and to this day that incident bothers me.  Another time, when I was the same age-ish, I witnessed the same Grandmother kill a chicken.  Of course she had them there to feed herself, and she raised kids on a farm, but to me it was her killing a chicken.  I was shocked, I couldn't look away.  I don't know if I blocked out parts of the scene, or if I closed my eyes for part of it.  

It's safe to say that these occurrences, among others, have given me a pretty strong protective instinct for all animals.  Fast forward about 10 years, and I was on the internet, learning about all the animal cruelty that goes on for food and for fur.  That pushed me over the edge of just purposely ignoring how meat got into the package or in my burger, to becoming a vegetarian and not contributing or participating in any of it. 

Now, I am only human, and anytime it was too expensive, or inconvenient, I would fall back into eating meat.  I can’t say that I won’t fail again, but this time I will try my very best to stick with it.  That lifestyle is something I don’t want to take with me on this journey.  It makes me feel good to know that I am helping (in my miniscule way) to not only become healthier, but help our environment, save animals, contributing to vegan and vegetarian companies, and do what I feel is the right thing, in the process.


Here is a Vegan ShoppingGuide for anyone interested, and some Accidently Vegan stuff found at the grocery store.  I am sure there are some restaurants near you, like these, that have vegetarian alternatives.  And here is some eye candy :) I love Chester.



-Madeline

No comments:

Post a Comment